Honey Dijon Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Dairy-Free (if modified)
View a step-by-step video of this delicious recipe here.
- 4 small chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup SideDish Honey Dijon, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (sub soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices American or cheddar cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- 4 gluten-free hamburger buns
- 4 green lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 strips bacon, cooked until crisp
For the Chicken:
Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet, pound the chicken until it is a uniform ½-inch thickness. Pat dry with paper towels.
Place the chicken in a shallow bowl or baking dish and add the olive oil, SideDish Honey Dijon, coconut aminos, salt and pepper. Toss until well combined. Cover and let marinate at room temperature for at least 15 minutes, or in the fridge 4-6 hours.
- Heat grill over medium-high heat (350-400℉) and oil the grill grates. To do this, dip a wadded paper towel in a little oil and, using tongs, wipe the oil evenly over the grate. Be careful not to use too much oil, because that's a sure fire way to start a good flare-up—a little goes a long way here.
- Cook the chicken over the heat for 4-5 minutes per side, until grill marks appear and the chicken is cooked through. The lid should be closed throughout the cooking process.
- Reduce heat to low and add a slice of cheese to each chicken breast, if using, to the tops of each grilled chicken breast. Cover and allow the cheese to melt, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5-8 minutes.
To serve, place lettuce, tomato and onion on top of each bottom bun, then the grilled chicken breast. Drizzle with SideDish Honey Dijon and top with bacon and then the top bun.