Salmon Burger Kale Caesar Salad
2 pounds centercut salmon, skin removed and deboned
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallot (or 1 large shallot)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons cassava flour (sub arrowroot or tapioca flour)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup super-fine almond flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 lacinto kale heads
- SideDish Miso Caesar, to taste
Fresh dill fronds, optional
For the Salmon Burgers:
For the Kale Caesar:
Prep the Salmon Burgers:
Cut the salmon into 2-inch cubes. Place half of the salmon in a food processor. turn on and blend until minced, almost the texture of ground beef. You don’t want it over processed. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the second batch of the salmon. I do this in batches to prevent over blending the salmon.
- In a large bowl, combine the salmon, shallot, bay seasoning, dill, cassava, egg salt, pepper, and egg. Using a fork, stir until well combined. Place the salmon burger mixture in the fridge so that it firms up a bit and is easier to work with, 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, Slice the Kale:
Strip the kale leaves from the stem, rinse and pat dry. Stack the leaves on top of one another then, roll like a cigar then slice into very thin ribbons. Place the ribbons in a large bowl and set aside.
Form and Cook the Salmon Burgers:
Once the salmon has chilled, place the almond flour on a plate. Set aside.
- Carefully scoop out 1/2 cup of the salmon burger mixture at a time and using your hands, press into a patty. Dredge the patties into the almond flour and coat all both sides of the salmon burger with the flour. Using your hands, gently press once more to reinstate the patty with the almond flour. Set aside and repeat until all of the burgers are formed and coated. You should have about 8 burgers.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. In batches, carefully place the burgers into the oil and cook until golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Continue until all of the salmon burgers are cooked.
Assemble the Salad:
Continuously toss the sliced kale with desired amount SideDish Miso Caesar for about 2 minutes until the kale is well coated and softened. Serve with the salmon burgers and garnish with fresh dill, if desired. I tend to serve 1 to 2 patties per person.